Cook County Hygge Festival Feb 3- 14, 2024
Discover All the Cozy Vibes at the Cook County Hygge Festival
Every year, Cook County, Minnesota warmly welcomes winter and visitors with the Cook County Hygge Festival. This year, the event will occur from February 3 to February 14, 2024.
Join our cozy lakeside community in embracing the frosty season on Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior with activities such as guided hikes, sauna sessions, shopping local, and warming up together near one of our many unique local fireplaces. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, this is the perfect time to enjoy the simple pleasures of winter. If you’re thinking of coming to Grand Marais or one of the neighboring communities for the Cook County Hygge Festival, here’s what you need to know!
What is Hygge?
The Danish concept of “hygge” (pronounced hoo-gah) describes the feeling of quiet coziness and a soft feeling of contentment and well-being. I can’t think of a better word to describe winter on Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior! And, the Cook County Hygge Festival fully embraces this feeling of coziness with various events and activities for all ages.
Why Plan a Trip – Won’t It Be Too Cold?
Well, that’s kind of the point! Hygge allows us to fully embrace the chill of winter. Through a variety of outdoor and indoor activities, this festival will provide all the cozy vibes and feelings of warmth you need to enjoy the season and connect with the people you love.
This year, the Cook County Hygge Festival will be held from February 3 to February 14, 2024. Daily events will be offered throughout the festival to help you experience all things Cook County and hygge. To begin the festival, there will be a snowmobile Fun Run and a Winter Market, among other events, on February 3. Additionally, many businesses throughout Cook County will offer special deals and discounts to celebrate all things hygge
Cook County Hygge Festival Events
Several events will be held each day during the Cook County Hygge Festival. In fact, most days, you will find events from morning to night!
Regardless of which days you visit, don’t miss the signature Cook County Fireplace Tour (self-guided), where several lodging establishments and other properties with fireplaces will open up their doors for people to enjoy their unique fireplaces (whether they are staying there or not). The extraordinary list of cheerful and snug fireplaces includes:
- Aspen Lodge
- Best Western Plus Superior Inn
- Grand Marais Recreation Area
- Hungry Hippie Tacos
- Joy and Company
- Raven Rock Grill at Skyport Lodge
- Sivertson Gallery
- Voyageur Brewing Company
- Grand Portage Lodge & Casino
- Grand Portage National Monument Heritage Center
- White Pine Lodge
- Borderland Lodge
- Golden Eagle Lodge
- Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
- Caribou Highlands Lodge
- Cascade Lodge Restaurant & Pub
- Lutsen Resort
- North Shore Winery
- Superior National at Lutsen
- Solbakken on Superior
Plus, new this year, the Sauna Series will surely leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. In fact, there are daily sauna sessions (from February 5 – 14) that are free to the community during the Hygge Festival!
Keep reading to discover a few more event highlights for couples, families, and outdoor adventurers to add to your itinerary.
Event Highlights for Couples
- Cozy February Film Screening at Arrowhead Center for the Arts – Saturday, February 3
- Northern Lotus Meditation at Two Birds Healing Arts Center – Wednesday, February 7, and Wednesday, February 14
- Special Menu for Valentine’s Day at Bluefin Grille (live music to follow) – Wednesday, February 14
- Mulled Wine, Hot cider, Spiked Hot Cider, Fireplaces, Mobile Sauna at the North Shore Winery – a recurring event
- Friday Night Reels Winter Film Series at the Grand Marais Public Library – a recurring event
Family-Friendly Event Highlights
- Jazz Brunch with Briand Morrison at Moguls Grille & Tap Room – Sunday, February 4, and Sunday, February 11
- Community Craft Night at North House Folk School – Tuesday, February 6
- Gunflint Mail Run at the Trail Center Lodge – Saturday, February 10
- Open Curling at the Cook County Community Center – a recurring event on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Self-Directed Art Activities at Joy & Co. – a recurring event
Outdoor Adventure Event Highlights
- Guided Cascade River State Park Hike by Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior – Tuesday, February 6 (advanced registration required)
- Guided Bon Fire Hike by Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior – Thursday, February 8 (advanced registration required)
Events Happening throughout the Hygge Festival
- Cook County Fireplace Tour (self-guided)
- Sauna Series (free community sessions)
- Live music throughout the event (several artists + venues)
- Exhibit: Hygge: the Warmth of Winter at the Johnson Heritage Post Art Gallery
Review the event calendar carefully, as some events require prior registration and/or are paid events. You can find a list of all the events here.
Where to Stay during the Cook County Hygge Festival
Some hotels and lodges near Grand Marais offer special pricing during the Cook County Hygge Festival. If you’re planning a spur-of-the-moment escape on Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior during the festival, consider cozying up with one of these fantastic hygge or winter fun deals (review the “Lodging Specials” section for more).
Enjoy the Cook County Hygge Festival
I hope this article helps you celebrate winter near Grand Marais and embrace hygge with your favorite people. The Cook County Hygge Festival is undoubtedly an excellent reason to snuggle up with a warm drink, enjoy a cozy fire together, and explore Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior.
Make your reservations now for an enchanting winter getaway to hygge on Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior
You may also like